Rules / Guidelines
1. Any competitor who is a resident of the State of Texas with a valid Texas Driver License and / or State I.D. may challenge any ranking holder for their spot.
2. All challengers should post their challenge with the ranking holder’s name, weight class and arm(s) on the Texas Rankings Facebook Page and must pay $20 to the TAL for each (rank) ranking’s challenge match. 100% of these monies will be used to help send the first-place rankings holders to the National Championships to represent Texas. Please tag and contact Billy Ortagus at 337-263-1115 to arrange payment options via Venmo/other cash app or in person.
3. If the challenger does not receive an acceptance from the ranked holder within 48 hours, the challenger must contact a TAL Director. The TAL will attempt to contact the rankings holder. If the rankings holder does not respond or accept the challenge within fifteen calendar days of the challenger’s request(s) he or she WILL forfeit their position to the challenger.
4. Refusal from the ranking holder to defend his or her rank will be considered a forfeit and will count as a win for the challenger. Ranks First through Fifth retain the right to decline a challenge if the challenger does not have the minimum amount of money to challenge. If the challenger has the minimum amount of money to challenge then refusal from the Ranking holder to defend his or her rank will be considered a forfeit and will count as a win for the challenger. Three consecutive challenge refusals will result in the ranking holder being moved to the bottom of the list and marked inactive.
5. Ranking holders may accept as many challenges as they like. If challenged, ranked holders will defend their ranking within ninety days or forfeit his or her ranking. Rescheduling or extensions to the ninety-day rule may be considered amongst the ranking’s committee.
6. Challengers will travel to the ranking holders who will, with TAL Rankings Committee approval, determine the match location and date and time within ninety days of the date of the challenge. Any unreasonable stipulation by the ranking holder may be considered amongst the ranking’s committee.
7. Competitors may only have one ranking defensive match and one ranking advancement match scheduled at any time.
8. If for any reason, the number one ranked person cannot attend Nationals, the number two may go in his/her place. If for any reason, the number two ranked person cannot attend Nationals, the third ranked person may go in his/her place. If none of the top three rankings holders can attend Nationals, then that weight class will not be funded. The funds will be dispersed amongst the other classes accordingly.
9. If the challenger loses, then he/she will pay the Ranking Holder a minimum of:
$300 for the 1st Place Ranking
$250 for the 2nd Place Ranking
$200 for the 3rd Place Ranking
$150 for the 4th Place Ranking
$100 for the 5thPlace Ranking
No minimum amount required to challenge the 6th through last place Rankings.
10. Challengers are only required to pay the minimum monies listed above but both competitors may agree to a higher amount.
11. The money will be collected from the challenger and held by the referee or TAL Official and verified by the Ranking’s Holder prior to the match.
12. If the Challenger wins the challenge, then he/she will not be required to pay the former rankings holder and will assume the rank and the former ranking holder will be placed one rank lower.
13. The rankings holder may accept a match and decline the challenger’s money if he/she decides.
14. Challengers may petition their regional director for consideration on a fee-free rankings match which, will be decided by the TAL Rankings Committee.
15. In order to promote integrity within the TAL, any competitor may be added, moved or removed from rankings by the TAL Rankings Committee at any time.
16. WAF, IFA, rules are accepted. WAL rules may also be permitted with consent from both pullers and the rankings committee.
17. Rankings matches may be held during a practice or special event in Texas.
18. Tournament matches will not count towards the rankings except under the following conditions:
1. Ranking match is held pre-tournament.
2. The final match, if both competitors agree, can count towards rankings. Monies for Champions fund will be required. Monies listed in Rule 9 may be required.
3. If the situation arises that there are only two competitors in a class and both agree, their matches can count for rankings. Monies for Champions fund will be required. Monies listed in Rule 9 may be required.
19. Competitors may compete and/or hold rankings in multiple weight classes as long as they are capable of making weight of that specific weight class.
20. Competitors will be allowed a 2lb clothing allowance with a maximum of 10lbs from that specific weight class if both competitors agree.
21. Rankings matches will be in a format of “best of three” for all except first place which will be “best of five”.
22. Rankings matches must have two referees and at least one witness to ensure fairness within the match.
23. Matches must also be video recorded and sent to Billy Ortagus, TAL Media Director. Please contact Billy for video transfer options.
24. Weigh-ins are required. Early weigh-ins may be arranged within 24 hours of the match by either competitor with each other and a TAL Director, Referee or TAL designated official. Violation of weigh ins will be considered an invalidation of the match unless otherwise agreed by both competitors and committee.
25. Any organization wishing to host or hold a TAL Ranking match(s) at their event must first contact the TAL Rankings Committee with information pertaining to such Ranking matches. Specifics of the match must be communicated to the rankings committee to ensure the match follows the TAL rules and guidelines to the fullest extent possible. Exceptions may be considered by the Rankings Committee in the event of a conflict that is otherwise unavoidable. If there is no conflict between the specifics of the match and the rules and guidelines set forth here then matches may be held by other organizations during their events. TAL requests matches be branded or acknowledged as a TAL Ranking match in any promotion of the organizations seeking to host these matches.
Note: TAL requests that the organization provides video footage of the specified rankings match in the event a formal protest is issued concerning the outcome of the rankings match. Video can be sent to TAL Media Director – Billy Ortagus.
26. These guidelines are, at all times, subject to change by the TAL Rankings Committee. For questions or comments concerning the Rankings, Rules or Guidelines contact The Texas Armwrestling League Director in your region. All directors can be reached via Facebook Messenger.
Dustin Lofland, Mark Cano
Sarah Collins McKinney